Followers

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Re-purposed Box Canvas

November's Challenge has just launched over at More Mixed Media...as always anything goes, but with the option of a colour and this months colour is Black.
I wasn't quite sure what I was going to create for the design team, so after a rummage through my altered art tubs, I found an old box canvas.
It was never completed, hence being in one of the tubs...and the colour that I painted it with originally was a pearly shade of turquoise, whatever was I thinking,lol.
The good thing about the canvas was it already had textures on it and it was in perfect condition to create a project with.


I wish I had taken a photo of it in it's original state, but never thought about that until I had painted it twice with black acrylic paint.
Once the paint was dry I gave the front a few random coats of purple and blue metallic inks by Docrafts Artiste sprays. I then left the canvas to dry over night.
I left the sides of the canvas black.


I used one of the fancy hearts from Fernli Designs ( sadly they have stopped making their lovely MDF items now ). I gave the heart one coat of black paint and when it was completely dry I again used the Docrafts Artiste sprays to colour the heart, the center being blue and the hearts purple.


I adhered some sisal fibres to the canvas before adhering the heart and then added one of Tim Holtz relatives images.
Using a few of my stamps I created a sentiment on some cream card that I mounted on black card.


In this photo you can see some of the mesh/texture that I had used previously before discarding the canvas..so glad I didn't throw it in the bin.
Do please pop over to join in with our challenge, there is a prize on offer.
You can find us here at


3 comments:

Lozzy said...

Absolutely love your canvas Sandie and great post as to how you made...thank you...Hugs Lozzy xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous piece Sandie, very well made. Hugs, Valerie

Aimeslee Winans said...

I'm in awe of the brilliant ways the DT came up with to use black. This is a wonderful piece, Sandie, quite eye-catching! xoxo