Saturday, August 1, 2015

A Little Bit Steam Punky

I found 2 different sized hearts in my alterables stash, made from the same type of wood, so I thought I would use them for my design team project for the August Challenge over at Rhedd's Creative Spirit

First I sealed the wood with black gesso and added some die cut chicken wire.
 I applied some dark acrylic paints, Terracotta, Dark Blue & Grey which I dabbed with a baby wipe to kind of smear the paints a bit.
I did the same for the Cogs.

Once all the paints were dry I assembled the cogs on the largest  heart.
The second heart I wrapped with some copper wire and added a drawer handle, then glued the heart to the larger one on a slight angle.
To finish I very lightly went over some of the cogs and the handle with copper gilding wax...some areas I over applied, but soon wiped the surplus away with a baby wipe.

So if you would like  an Altered Art Challenge this month, why not pop over to
I would love to see you there...xx


Anonymous said...

Ok, Sandie, now you gone and done it! ........stolen my ...I love Steampunk, and this is a brilliant example
Your work just keeps on getting better and better...

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

I love what you have done with your hearts, The metallic look make me want to reach out and touch, and perhaps steal it from you lol. xx

Sammy said...

Oh I love, love, love this Sandie! Such a very gorgeous project, and I shall have to fight Elaine for it when we both show up in the middle of the night to play burglar! lol. x

Pawsitively Creative said...

I love me some Steampunk and this is delicious! Scrumptious texture and the blended colors are oodles of awesome sauce! That drawer handle was a stroke of genius and such a unique shape. Wowzers! This is fantabulous! Hugz. ~Niki